A Florida judge has just granted police the power to take away Mindy McCready‘s son when he is found. Zander, 5, was taken from his grandparent’s home by the singer earlier this week. She does not have custody of her child, and now he’s been officially named a missing person. Judge James H. Seals signed an “emergency pick-up order” for the child, who was not returned today despite court orders, according to CNN.
“The child is now an official missing person,” said Aimee McLaughlin, a spokeswoman for the Children’s Network of Southwest Florida, the lead agency for child welfare services.
Mindy has yet to be charged with any crime in the matter. A case worker reportedly visited the home last week and did not find any problems, but by Tuesday when another case worker arrived, Zander was not to be found on the property. The worker then called law enforcement.
Mindy has said that the boy is with her, and has been saying that he is safe. She allowed Florida law enforcement officals to see him on Skype. Mindy has also announced that she is pregnant with twins.
“Ms. McCready’s number one priority has always been, and continues to be, the safety of her son,” publicist Kat Atwood said in the statement. “The 5-year-old boy has been with his mother for more than 30 days; law enforcement officials spoke with the child and saw Zander via Skype yesterday.”